Creating a good-looking lawn is a very difficult task irrespective of the place. Many homeowners face this situation staying in the areas where the weather is harsh and the climate makes lawn care challenging. Therefore, users should look at some factors before choosing grass rolls for their yard.
Warm Season Grasses
Choose the warm season grasses for the areas that have high humidity and hot temperatures. These grasses have an expanded, single, shoot growth period during the sunny season. Most of the warm varieties need proper maintenance during the rainy and winter seasons because they tend to become brown in color, which might result in reseeding certain areas of the lawn. Some of the popular types of warm grasses are Carpet grass, Bermuda, St. Augustine, and Centipede.
Functionality of the Grass
Certain types of grasses can easily withstand a lot of foot traffic as compared to the other types of grasses. Some grasses grow well in sunlight while others grow in shade. Therefore, how the grass roll is used plays a key role in the choice of the grass roll, too.
• Heavy Use – If the user has kids who frequently play on the grass rolls or enjoy spending time outdoors, he/she should consider purchasing grass that could withstand heavy foot traffic. Zoysia and Bermuda are two types of grass that can withstand a lot of traffic.
• Sunlight – If the yard is in a shaded area, then the user should go for the Centipede or the St. Augustine types of grass. The Bermuda type of grass can grow well in sunshine alone.
• Soil – All grasses can grow well when rich topsoil is used. However, users in subtropical and arid areas, usually, have very limited choices while exploring the types of grass rolls. The Bahia type of grass is a fast moving type of grass in the market because it can easily grow in both sandy and infertile grounds. The Centipede type of grass can easily withstand acidic content in the soil, as well.
• Large Areas – In warm areas, Centipede is the most widely used type of grass. This is because it requires very less maintenance in the form of timing and occasional lawn mowing. Zoysia is expensive and cannot be used economically in big yards.
Time For Maintaining The Grass
Usually, the grass rolls are in peak healthy condition when it is first placed on the lawn. Hence, it requires very less watering. Once the root of the grass grows deeper, maintain it properly. Some types of grass may need more aeration, fertilization, or irrigation. Based on all of this, consider the time the user can devote to maintain the grass. If the user cannot maintain the grass, he/she look at other options like going for a patio or some other alternates to grass lawns.
Inspecting The Grass Rolls
Inspect the grass rolls thoroughly. Failure to follow this step has the potential to cause long-term damage to the lawn. Some of the specifications the user can keep in mind while inspecting the grass rolls are-
• While purchasing the grass rolls, it should be usually in 1-2 feet of width and 2-10 feet of length.
• The grass rolls should not have a thatch or bare patches.
• It must be made up of a matrix of roots that cannot be easily torn.
• The blades of the grass rolls should be uniform and should be at least 2 inches long.
The most important factor to consider before making the choice is to choose the permanent grass rolls. This is only possible if the user asks for certain samples, inspects them, and then go ahead with the installation of the rolls in the backyard.